Friday, November 02, 2018

Images of Forgiveness


One of the key provisions of the New Covenant is the forgiveness of our sins. We are not able to balance out our moral liabilities by piling up moral excellencies. Righteousness is what is expected. Even if we were one day able to conduct ourselves perfectly, we would not have the resources to atone for past sins. So forgiveness of sins is worth thinking about, like a sweet morsel in one’s mouth. It’s worth savoring; worth tasting.

Let me acquaint you with three phrases that illustrate what God does with our sins as He forgives. 

The first is in the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament. Some people mistakenly associate the Old Testament with an “angry God,” while the New Testament with a “loving God.” But both Old and New Testaments comprise one Book, and they relate to the one, true God who does not change. And so we should not be surprised to find good news of God’s forgiveness in the Old Testament.

Isaiah 38:17 says that “You have cast all my sins behind Your back.” There we were, teetering on the edge of the pit of nothingness, deserving to perish due to our sins, but God set His love on us, and “cast all my sins behind (His) back.” God and I are then free to move forward, with any business pertaining to sins left in the dust.

Again in Isaiah, 43:25, God says “I am the One who wipes out your transgressions.” The image suggests a big white board, or, more properly, a dreadful black board, containing a record of all our sins. But God erases it. He wipes it clean. The record is gone, and we no longer have any charges against us.

And then, in Micah 7:19, in a double reference, we are assured that “He will tread our iniquities under foot,” and “will cast all (our) sins into the depths of the sea.” 

There is value on rolling these things around in our minds. But there is also value in applying them and thinking out the logical implications. Here is one to consider. If God has cast my sins behind His back, shouldn’t I also put their practice in my rearview mirror? If he has erased them from the record, then should I not erase them from my daily activities? If He treats my iniquities as waste and refuse, then shouldn’t I also?

So let’s be people who value forgiveness, and who then who live in the light of that forgiveness.

No comments: