Saturday, July 06, 2019

From Water to Wine


Last week Jesus turned water to wine. Evidently, it was really good stuff. Now, I don’t think Jesus sinned when he turned water to wine. Also, I don’t think if was fake wine, or non-alcoholic. I suppose that if someone drank a sufficient amount of Jesus’ wine, they would have been drunk. I don’t think those who drink wine or other alcohol (short of drunkenness) are committing a categorical sin. 

Our current context is very different from Jesus’ day. Alcohol today is not so much part of community life as it is a part of commercial life. What does that mean? It means they want your money. The drink-pushers, whether full of alcohol or sugar, care little about your health or enjoyment. They want your money. And they will spend gross budgets for advertising to convince you and your friends that you just have to imbibe, just like your friends do. It appears that we are suckers for advertising, and for following the crowd.

Last week’s message was about moving from a mere “water” existence to a more rich “wine” existence. There were several points, and you can listen to the message here. All were encouraged to embrace a “wine” existence. I choose to do so without actually drinking wine or other alcohol. 

My choice is based on what is good for others. I am often  involved with those who have struggled with alcohol. So are you. It pains me that there are more people who attend our church building in a given week to attend meetings to help keep alcohol-demons at bay than those who attend to worship God. And also, for the sake of children. I don’t want parents to justify doing what children shouldn’t by appealing to some arbitrary “drinking age.” I don’t want children to have to listen to arguments between parents about drinking too much. And children shouldn’t have to watch adults cross some invisible line that loosens inhibitions so that one acts more foolish than usual in front of them. 

Scripture clearly teaches that, one day, those who follow Christ will enjoy a new society which will be ruled by our Redeemer-King, not by profit- or pleasure-motives; dark passions or demon-addictions. We will join together in a grand banquet. It will be a wonderful gathering of interesting people with fascinating stories, but most importantly, Jesus Himself will be the Head of the table. I don’t know all that will be served at that banquet, though I expect there will be really good wine. He tended to save the best for last. And I will be very happy to raise my glass and enjoy a sip, right after He does. Now, please, tell me: what am I missing?

No comments: