Thursday, December 26, 2019

Strange Christmas


  “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!”
(2 Corinthians 9:15 NAS95)

Many of us have our Christmas traditions. We have Christmas artifacts, saved from year to year. We have Christmas patterns, of doing one thing on Christmas Eve, another thing on Christmas Day. We have Christmas practices, like annual caroling and cookie-making. But it’s not that way for everyone.

Especially this year, I’ve been thinking about how different Christmas is for different kinds of people. I’m not sure why. I’ve noticed people working in unsuitable jobs, or working in jobs for which they are completely unsuited - and I notice how difficult this holiday season must be for them. I’ve been aware of several who have no place to go, none with whom to gather, nothing in particular to do. They are surrounded by people caught up in the rush of their Christmas traditions, and yet, theirs is, at least to me, strange.

I overheard a phone conversation of a gentleman while waiting in line at Barnes & Noble. I was waiting to purchase a travel book for my father, who will no longer be traveling, but can do so with his eyes. It’s a Christmas tradition. The man on the phone was talking to perhaps a relative, maybe his daughter. He was telling her about wanting to buy something for someone, perhaps her child, and she was telling him that he didn’t need to. He was evidently in a regular state of not having enough money for such things. I would guess that applies to a whole lot of people. He said he wanted to do it this year. His boss had been good to the crew, which I took to mean that he had received some kind of bonus. I have no idea of this was a boss of long standing, or new this year; if the bonus came in the form of a gift card, or cash. But he had a little bit to spend, and he wanted to give a gift.

I never turned around to look at the man. He sounded as decent as could be, just getting by. And then he said, “And besides, both my ex-wives send me some money every Christmas.” All of a sudden, I was trying to re-frame the picture in my mind. I don’t know which part caught me more by surprise: “both my ex-wives,” or “send me money.” I had guessed in most cases that it was the other way around. Nonetheless, it was shaping up to be a pretty good year for this fella. Strange Christmas.

Maybe you didn’t get a bonus. And maybe your ex-wives send you nothing, or maybe you don’t even have any ex-es. But in Christ, we have a Father in heaven who has  given us His Son, described as the Indescribable Gift - that first Christmas was very strange.

No comments: