Friday, May 20, 2022

Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD? (Exodus 4:11)

Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?

Moses could be argued the first and greatest leader of Israel. He faced down Pharaoh. He led amid great opposition. He was the vehicle for many, many miracles. He was faithful to his charge.

But boy did he try and avoid the assignment at the beginning. “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh” (3:9); “what shall I say to them?” (3:13); “But behold, they will not believe me or listen to my voice,” (4:1); “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent,” (4:10); “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.” (4:13).

It was in the midst of this exchange that God asserted Himself right into the middle of the abilities and disabilities of mankind: “Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?” (4:11). What a wonderful, terrible description of the power and sovereignty of God. He is indeed the God to be feared.

As the psalmist says, “My times are in Your hand” (Psa 31:15). He has our lives and our health, our deaths and our diseases, in His hand. He does not work evil, but He can lay you low in a moment. He does it for purposes that He alone knows, to accomplish things that He alone understands. And, when we live our lives with this God (and, we all do, whether we admit it or not), we find ourselves to be helplessly over-matched.

This series of posts that has been going on for some time I call “Critical Questions in the Bible.” I’ve gone through my Bible and marked all the questions, and then have paged back through and written down a long list, subjectively, to be the questions especially worth pondering. There is no doubt that this question was chosen at least in part due to our family’s life-situation. It is distressing, and yet, it teaches me truths that I don’t think I wanted to know, but need to know.

Here are some applications: 1. Every ability that we have that brings usefulness or pleasure is a gift from God. Don’t take it for granted. 2. Every ability that we have that brings usefulness or pleasure is lent to us from God, and can be withdrawn at any time. Don’t worship it. 3. Every dis-ability teaches us to lean on God all the more, which we should have been doing in any case. 4. God shows special mercies to those who are marked by such dis-abilities. So should we. 5. We will find that loss in one area produces blessings in another, if we don’t grow bitter. Don’t grow bitter. 6. These disabilities - for those who are in Christ Jesus, they’re temporary. No such things are found in heaven.

No comments: