Monday, March 23, 2020

Thinking in 3's: Psalm 119:153-160

Thinking in 3's: "Give me life"

Three references occur in this 8-verse section of the Bible's longest chapter: "Give me life." These references may have a physical aspect to them, but the life that is most clearly in focus is spiritual life. We all face the prospect of physical death until Jesus comes again, but the promise of eternal life is directly tied to the possession of spiritual life that is freely given by God.

Each "give me life" is followed by "according to."

1. Psalm 119:154 "Give me life according to your promise." This is the only way that we receive this life: by faith in in the promise of God. This is so different than "life according to prediction." It is not "life according to actuarial table." Notice the phrase from Titus 1:2: "in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago." 

2. Psalm 119:156 "Give me life according to your rules." When we receive the gift of eternal life from God, it is not merely a gift that stays in storage until it's needed at physical death. We experience the blessings of that life right now. Things like divine provision and protection; peace and contentment; joy and purpose. These are experienced, according to the promise of God, but also according to our walking in His ways: "according to your rules." We receive eternal life as a gift. We can forfeit immediate blessings by wandering away from God. "Give me life according to your rules."

3. Psalm 119:159 "Give me life according to your steadfast love." Ultimately and finally; at the beginning of each new day and at the end of one that's just been used up - this life, eternal life, depends, not upon me, but upon God who is rich in mercy and grace. My life is dependent, not upon my love, but God's; not upon my faithfulness, but God's; not upon my good intentions, but on God's unchangeable promise. 

Praise God for the gift of life, that blows open the definition of life as biological existence; that guarantees a forever-fellowship with Him and His kingdom; and that invades our present lives even today, even at this moment, and makes us glad.


No comments: