Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Do Hard Things

Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations, a recently released book (Multnomah) written by 19 yr old twin brothers, Alex and Brett Harris, is a challenge to do just what the title says.

As a dad, mentor, and pastor, I have shared this book with a small circle of people, and we will be discussing its contents with one another. Here are some short posts on of my initial thoughts as I read through.

The title reads: Do Hard Things. What are the hard things that God wants us to do? I think I know the hardest: to die. Not necessarily in the physical sense of the word, since we are all going to die eventually; but to die as a follower of Jesus. Since he died for us, we die with him, dying to self and our own little kingdoms. He becomes the central figure of my life; not me.

Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (Matthew 16:24 ESV)

As I read the title of the book, the endorsements and the introduction, I hope that the authors will challenge me and other readers to think through and take action to do
the hardest thing - dying, in order to do
the greatest thing – living a life that is truly alive.

No comments: